From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:44:57 -0600
> I guess a couple of strong young men could count as a mechanical
> lifting device! What a way to spend a day...

Some people pay for exercise like this.

> Allen - if you don't wait til the supers are all full, do you have
> difficulty with high moisture content?

Seldom, and if it is a little high, then the packers don't mind if
they know in advance.  It saves on their water bill ;)

> Or does it average out OK, given the nectar sources and weather? I
> wonder,too if you are up in the Peace River area,

No, we average around 100 pounds here. I'm halfway between Lethbridge
and Edmonton.

> where the crops are still on the large side.

Not this year.  They had another disaster.  It's feast or famine
there.

> Do they grow lots of legumes/alfalfa up in your neck of the woods,
> or do you rely on things like Canola?

Both.

> Any fireweed?

No.

> I know with the Canola you can't leave the crop on til things are
> all filled and finished, as it granulates solid in no time.  Perhaps
> this is part of the reason for harvesting early.

Well, yes -- and the fact that some hives get plugged.  Since were
going there anyhow, we might as well take the honey.

Also our flow only lasts a week or three most years, so we get only
two, maybe three pulls.  Sometimes only one.

Then it's over.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>