Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2018 07:46:28 -0600
There have been some posts about the problems older beekeepers have with
lifting and handling heavy boxes. Roberta and I have been struggling with
this problem for the last few years. We are in our eighties and are not very
big to begin with. We have devised a simple cheap device to lift and load up
to three deep supers at a time onto a truck for extracting. It can also be
used for replacing bottom boards and removing top brood chambers for
inspection of the bottoms.

It consists of a 10'  2x4 supported at one end on the ladder rack of the
truck and at the other end by a 6' vertical bipod. A 500 lb lever hoist
rolls on wheel along the 2x4. A lifting device is clamped to the boxes and
lifted by the hoist and rolled onto the truck.

We have used this for the last three years for 45 hives bringing in about
5000 lb. of honey. It is not as good as a commercial hive lifter or as fast
as a crew of big young helpers but it works for us. I will take some
pictures when we start using it later this month and post them.

Best Regards

Donald Aitken, Edmonton Alberta

53° 41' 51" N 113° 37' 32" W