From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:58:17 -0700
--- On Wed, 3/11/09, Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Continuing to select for production
> and gentleness
> instead of mite control could be negative.

Hello Dick,

Would like to hear some opinions on this.  From my observations concerning productive colonies and mite resistance,  I have noticed that colonies which tested 'the highest' for hygienic behavior were the top honey producers. Considering that there are several, perhaps many mechanisms for varroa resistance, it is possible that each regional environment might require a slightly different order of  resistance mechanisms for it to best cope with the mite pressures (environmental factors) that are unique to the area.  For instance, colonies used in commercial pollination might require mite resistance having a bit more emphasis on grooming behavior to cope with higher influx of mites found in that type of environment.    I have deep concerns that too high of emphasis placed on the selection of single traits such as hygienic behavior are always a bad idea, because it might be at the expense of the many other essential mechanisms.

My question, which I address to all is:
Wouldn’t a simple plan of selecting from your best performers, automatically be selecting colonies that cope best with the ‘environmental factors’ as defined by Phillips 1918,  which include mites as such.  In other words, let the colonies dictate which traits are essential for them to cope with the environmental factors,  if hygenic behavior takes a second seat to grooming behavior, so be it?

Best Wishes,
Joe