From:
Steve Fairfax <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:44:02 -0500
I'm a hobby beekeeper located west of Boston Massachusetts.  I use New World
Carniolan (NWC) queens from Strachan Apiaries.  I like the NWC for their
ability to forage during the frequently cool, damp New England spring and
summertime weather.  I also like the formal closed population breeding
program administered by Sue Colby at Ohio State University.

This year featured some of the coldest January weather on record.  I wrap
the hives with tar paper, winter in two deeps, entering the winter with at
least 80 lb of honey on each hive, more typically 100 lb.  There are top
entrance holes bored near the handholds for additional ventilation.

Last weekend it got warm enough (48 F) to let me take a quick peek in the
hives.  The hives were quite light, but with very large populations, much
larger than I am accustomed to seeing in overwintering Carniolans.  The
small cluster in traditional Carniolans means that they use less honey
during winter.

Checking the OSU site, I note that they are now selecting for larger winter
clusters in order to facilitate more rapid spring build-up.  Speaking
strictly for myself, I have never found the Carniolans to lack anything in
spring build-up.  Indeed, if I am the least bit tardy in my inspections,
manipulations, and splits, I get swarms.

Has anyone else noted very large Carniolan clusters with NWC stock?  Knowing
that I will get 3 opinions from every 2 beekeepers, I'll still risk the
question: Are the benefits of even more rapid spring build-up worth the
costs of feeding a larger winter cluster?