Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 02:59:32 EDT

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<I had no idea that selection for wax moth intolerance was  ever a
criterion!
In my experience, all EHB appear to be intolerant of wax  moth.  Your
statement interests me greatly--have you, or others,  noticed that there is
much variability in wax moth tolerance in various  lines of bees?

Randy Oliver>>

Native British bees used to  have  a reputation for tolerating wax moth, at
least with some of the advocates  of imported bees. Beowulf Cooper
attributes this to 'some strains', and I've  never put it to the test, but as a
result I'd expect to see noticeable  variations (I don't know how great) in wax
moth tolerance here. It's the first  time I've heard of anyone selecting for
it though.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK