From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2013 09:22:36 -0700
Thanks Christina re the experience with open cage demos.  We are on the
learning curve, and would appreciate any tips.  We have only a couple of
days in advance in which to move the hive in.  I've moved it during the day
to leave most of the field force behind (setting it aside for a couple of
hours before the move), yet still have some bees that want to try to
reenter through the screen in front of the hive.  Any tips?

Also appears that if we break open any honey in the hive during a demo,
that a lot of bees will appear at the screen in front of the hive,
presumably tracking the odor emanating from the entrance.  Ditto for
feeding of sugar syrup.  Seems best if the hive is only fed water (to
prevent water gathering at the animal exhibits nearby).  Any tips?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA