From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2009 18:02:38 -0800
The bee mags give regional prices and a very wide, generous spread.  Prices vary, even within my operation.

I run an unatteneded honor-box honey stand in my drive way.  Quarts sell for $8.50.  These same quarts sell in the health food store for $8.98 (for which I charge $7.25 wholesale).  At the farmer's markets, because I have more time involved, I sell my quarts for $10.  These are three pound glass jars (actually 44 oz).

If you're selling one pound jars for $8 and two pound jars for $16, I think you are doing fantastic.  That would make those quarts of mine sell for $24 !

I sell one-pound squeeze bottles for $5 (that's $4.50 net price per pound) and that 8-ounce squeeze bottle for $3.50 (that's six bucks a pound net price).

I feel I'm charging fairly and adequately for what the traffic will bear.  Competition for honey sales is very low as there are only a few of us that produce any quantity worth noting and my beekeeping buddies converse regularly on our pricing levels.  We'd rather see prices higher than try to undercut each other.  There's ample opportunties to sell honey.  Why not try and help  one another?

Grant
Jackson, MO -- where we're not bashful about plain talking economics!