From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:39:56 -0700
The number and serverity of virus and worm attacks on our University
systems increased dramatically after 9 11 01.  One new variant hit on a
Tuesday and crashed nearly every Windows-based Server on the campus. It
wasn't untill Friday that Norton and others had a fix.  So, 3 days down!

Variants are popping up in double time - some hacker takes a know virus,
and tweaks it into something a bit nastier - and the anti-virus software
doesn't always recogize the modified virus.  So, its not enough to install
virus protection software.  My newest software links to the Internet to get
the latest virus signature updates once a week -- but also links if it
receives something that it doesn't recognize.  Its been doing that 2-3
times a week over the past month!  Lesson learned, get a good anti-virus
program that automatically updates - don't economize with a cheap or
outdated program - you need those updates.

Sorry

Jerry

Jerry J. Bromenshenk
http://www.umt.edu/biology/bees