From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:43:28 -0400
Carolyn Ehle wrote:

> I don't post often, a few years ago I described some of my methods and
> it was suggested to report back in a few years (I think expecting all my
> hives would die by then).    Here's part of the report in response to
> Bob's question

I wondered about that and checked the archives. What I found was you
were trying FGMO and several posted that it was not the best way to go.
You also described various other things you were doing, some of which
did not appear to have much promise.

What you have described in your most recent post is a varied approach to
selecting for what works. You also brought in different bees so you are
both selecting for the best bee and trialling others to see how they
stack up. Both of these probably have much to do with your success. I,
also, took that route, but more in the local selection with only some
new outside bees. Your approach is much better than mine since you have
more lines to choose from. (Actually sounds a lot like what Bob is
doing, but on a smaller scale.)

I saw "vegetable oil" in you post, but as a paste. Is this the latest
FGMO application method? If so, we are almost back to the beginning of
FGMO.  Otherwise, it is a tracheal control, which does work.

Interesting that not much has changed since then from those old posts
(proponents and opponents of FGMO).

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine