From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:20:07 -0500

Randy said:
> Join the club, Stan!  I've just had the field force disappear from an
> almond
> orchard at the end of bloom (the first half of the colonies that I moved
> out
> a week earlier are busting at the seams).

Wake up you guys!

Many of us are not willing to "join the club".  If you lose your field force
then your pollination hive is too weak for cherries or apples!

 The neonicotinoids are registered for almonds plus once the bloom is over
your field bees will visit whatever they can find and it *may* be that the
girls got into some neonics. Collected water from the drips.

As I said to Lance Sundberg ( Austin ABF convention) when asked about his
loss of every hive on a semi when the load was checked two weeks later in
California. These hives were some of his best hives before shipment.

I said:
Sounds like a pesticide issue as nothing known to beekeeping will kill 480
hives so fast *except* a pesticide kill. Absolutely nothing!

At the time California had the most section 18's issued for IMD and also
most reported CCD.

Lance said:
The curious think is all the field bees were gone and only a small amount of
nurse bees and a queen was left.

I said:
There are TWO types of pesticide kills.

1, the bees make it back to the hive and you find what you describe in the
hive and the field bees out front of the hive.

2. The bees do not make it back to the hive and you find what you describe
in the hive..

Yours *could* be in my opinion be in the second class.

Not rocket science and easily could be called beekeeping 101

bob