From:
Carolyn Ehle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:27:21 -0400
Bob Harrison wrote:

>...I suppose I possibly have the most SMR experience on the list or at least
>the most which will talk...
>I was taught by Dr. Harbo himself after his presentation at an ABF meeting I
>believe in 2002 in Savannah.... If a member of the list has tested for SMR it would be interesting to hear
>what their thoughts are. Any around willing to talk?...

I don't post often, a few years ago I described some of my methods and
it was suggested to report back in a few years (I think expecting all my
hives would die by then).    Here's part of the report in response to
Bob's question, tho I can't say I've "tested":

Since that meeting and Dr Harbo's input, I have incorporated his methods
into my hive inspections, using a natural history rather than full
science.  Since he found that SMR traits didn't show in hives with new
SMR queen introductions until the second worker generation, I figured
that the SMR trait involved nurse bee behavior, and that it was in
addition to the hygienic traits ID's in AFB work.

Having used no harsh chemicals since 1997 (when I bought out an
old-timer's Buckfast bees), and and not even formic since 2002, I have
been using the Bond method, "live and let die" (coined in Bee Culture by
assorted authors I haven't time to look up, I know Steve Taber was one),
on my 35 to 60 hives.  I started with screened bottom boards in 2000.
We are outside commercial bee travel lanes.  Every year I have brought a
few and different queen lines in, including Russian hybrids and SMR
hybrids from the first years available, most of the hygienic lines,
'feral' hives, and several different sources of commercial queens. This
in addition to my own bees.   I use swarm cells (often encouraged by
crowding) from the earliest swarms and splits for new queens. The few
surrounding beekeepers mostly use Russian or hygienic stock or my
queens.  Every year more swarms are found from feral hives, mostly my
escaped swarms or their progeny.

I.E., I have a fairly isolated location with mostly wild forage into
which I've been pouring bees selected for disease and mite resistance
from many genetic sources and races, then letting it all simmer and
stir.  I do use a pollen substitute, syrup, and vegetable oil paste in
hives whenever I work them (which is needing to be less and less), and I
do feed sugar syrup in the open in the winter and sometimes during
serious dearth.  When in doubt, I'm leaving honey on until I'm sure
they've got winter stores.  If they are too weak to get the open feed,
so be it (except the occasional tiny nuc just made).  My losses vary,
here in Upper Piedmont SC we've had some brutal droughts, but usually
about 5-10 % in late summer early fall (usually probable varroa or
queenless), and 5-10% in very late winter when a cold snap gets a small
cluster (sometimes queen failure, I rarely have enough drones in mid to
late summer supercessions, and probably also tracheal mites).  There are
lots of other details, but that sort of gets the picture. No science (I
have a biology BS), but I keep notes, and things like SMR traits and
hygienic traits guide stock selection.  Obviously winter conditions for
this latitude of 33 degrees, 50' 49" and altitude (500 ft) apply.

I also spend a good bit of time staring at the observation hive.  Bottom
line, over the last few years I have seen a number of characteristics
increasing.  They are not necessarily associated with my improving
disease resistance and survival, just observations:

--less and less body hair, especially on the thorax [harder for mites to
hold on?]
--tolerance of other queen cells and virgin queens, plus continuing
presence of a single active queen cell most of the time [I believe these
came in with the Russians]
--swarms with multiple virgins, sometimes as multiple swarms that may
combine...2 different SMR hybrid lines tend to do this, plus Russians [I
do clip queens, so primary swarm usually returns and if I don't split
right away I get these multiples from some lines.)
--drone color usually more like the Russians for the first few years
(more of a silvery cast than gold), now they are blending more  [again,
high proportion of Russian genes in survivors?].
--vigorous allogrooming behavior, especially focused around wing bases
[per Dr. Jamie Ellis, tracheal mites enter the wing-base spiracles],
varroa encountered may be chased, but apparently are not primary focus.
--careful inspection of incoming bees, I've seen entrance board
'groomathons' of bees that I've pulled and that had varroa on them.
--increase in use of propolis, including cages for wax moth larvae,
adult hive beetles, ant and spider nests under cover, etc.
--partial uncapping of pupae after cocoon is finished, cleaning all of
the cell in reach and then recapping sometimes days later [could this be
the SMR trick partly?].
--spinning varroa mites into the cocoon.
--inspections of worker and drone brood at purple-eyed phase rarely show
more than one reproductive mite.
--sticky boards show mostly damaged mites, counts are usually below
economic threshold, tho I use them less and less...oh for some grad
students with grants!
--bees are very aggressive to insect intruders, and dead hornets and
other bee species are often found outside. Lately hive beetles are
usually caged on top of inner cover, and when I break the propolis the
beetles are chased and bitten, sometimes losing legs but getting away
(for now).
--working in much colder conditions than my original commercial stock,
also working very late in evening and early in morning.  Bees often sun
on a sunny wall periodically in cool weather.
--fewer and fewer deformed wing bees, even in hives in trouble. AFAIK
I've not had problems with paralytic viruses (yet?)
--very motley looking workers, clearly the variety of genetic sources
and multiple drones is showing phenotypically.
--good housekeeping, no trash on floor, etc.  Regular appearance of
larval and pupal carcasses and parts carried out of hive.
--I'm sure I've forgotten some major features, but I believe a little
natural history is a good thing, and the only thing available with
research money so tight.  Most good biology starts from simple
observation and that's something we sideliners and hobbyists can offer.
Meanwhile I've got outyard colonies that are thriving without any help
(or hindrance) from me for 3, 4 and 5 years.  Two groups are outside
range of my colonies for drones, tho I suspect any 'feral' bees are from
my stock.  Of course I don't know whether I'm getting stronger bees or
weaker mites, population biology would suggest both in a new
host/parasite relationship, since killing one's obligate host is a
dead-end for a parasite.

Just a few observations to stir into the pot....Carolyn in Plum Branch,
SC,  Lakelands Beekeepers Association