From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 05:47:03 -0800
In talking with some of the locals, we shared an experience of a strange occurrence this past summer.  I toss it out for our informed discussion.

I saw it in a couple of my hives, randomly here and there with no correlation to anything specific.  I saw it in my observation hive in the garage.  It also showed up at the observation hive at the local conservation center.

One of my buddies asked if I thought this was CCD, which we have not seen in SE Missouri, at least generally defined by the rapid decline/depopulation of a healthy hive leaving behind brood and stores.

What our hives shared in common was a slow dwindling of the population, the queen laying fewer eggs, the foragers bringing in less nectar.  It's like a slow, downward spiral until the colony is a fist-sized cluster and then they're all gone.  All the comb is dry, with no brood, no stores of pollen or honey.  There are no dead bees in the hive.

Initially, we guessed the hives were robbed out, but I watched my ob hive dwindle like they had a general malaise.  There was nothing to rob.

I tried feeding the observation hive at the conservation center but they were not interested in any syrup.  There were no observable pests like moths, ants or SHB.  The hives that were hit were few, not widespread, just here and there.  And there are no other managerial clues between each of us beekeepers to find any common ground.  It's like this problem transcends the differences in location and style of management or source of bees.

Any of you want to fathom a guess?

Grant
Jackson, MO