From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:18:25 -0600
Martin said:
For my MSc research I looked at size and shape variation among many
colonies of honey bees across south-east Asia.  Size was more variable
within species and within races than between species and was strongly
correlated with altitude.

And:

How quickly do bees, once they are allowed to freely build comb the size
"they want", go to a size that is optimal given their climate?  Has anyone
done a study that looks at the same race of bee, kept in many different
climates

In the early 80s, we found that bees kept by beekeepers throughout the
Puget Sound area of Washington differed widely in size among colonies.  How
much of that size variation was because of the comb used, natural
variation, altitude or climate, etc. is unknown.  But, we did see marked
differences AND at that time, the bees should have all been European in
origin - no AHB.
Jerry J. Bromenshenk
http://www.umt.edu/biology/bees