From:
charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:28:14 -0500
I may be misinterpreting the paragraph, but I felt the authors imply that
this new regime will benefit everyone - the pesticide producers will make
money selling pesticides that kill everything, the farmers will make money
growing crops free of pests, and  beekeepers will make money renting hives
to pollinate vast monocultures while feeding their bees  in isolation from
the toxic environment.

Interesting point Ted.  But what is the alternative?  I disagree with your
statement pesticide companies making profit from killing everything.  In
Fact there is a lot more money and the trend is very much the opposite
direction.  Neonicitod seed coating for example.  VERY targeted,  and here
in the Midwest,  very accurate.  Blanket spraying is rare anymore.  20 years
ago EVERYTHING got sprayed.  Now very little.

I can't speak to what the author was trying to convey,  but Making money
from crops that are pest free is everyone's goal.  I buy chickens to keep
Japanese beetles out of the plants.  I wonder how many chickens it would
take to cover the average 120 acre field??

Isolation from toxic environments is an interesting statement.  It is whats
required.  For everything  From Child proof caps, to pesticides the concept
and goal the world over is to keep things safe from toxic areas.  I keep my
bees away from sprayed crops,  just as I keep the baby away from the
swimming pool.

We talk of vast monocultures.  A cpl things to remember.  Without farming
much of the country is and was a vast set of monocultures.  Grass in the
prairies, to certain types of forest.   Its also interesting to note that in
the last decades the acreage under tillage has dropped a bit.  And variety
and of plants cultivated in different ares is changing.
Just last week ran thru south Georgia,  cotton, onions, bluberries, peanuts
as well as the miles of pines and gallberries.  Small pockets of
monocultures, but overall a good mix.

Charles