From:
Anne Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:59:10 +1000
Rather than a full obsevation hive we have a display case with just two
frames in it which we use both at markets and as a teaching aid in
schools.  It rather resembles two windows joined together, one of which
opens like a door.  This allows us to take two frames of bees, including
the queens, and place them in the display box either the evening prior
to,
or early on the morning of our engagement.  We always select frames
showing sealed brood, hopfully close to hatching, pollen & honey.  Once
we
have put in the frames the case is locked.  and covered for
transportation. This double sided glass case, only one frame deep allows
children and adults a close examination of our bees at work, and has
been
an outstanding success since we had it built. Now as our school year
commences I will post our pamphlet to primary schools within a 100 km
radius, and if last year is reeated we will make about 20 visits through
the school year.  xperience has aught us that our last visit must
coincide
with the bees close down for winter, so this takes out from mid-May
until
early August. Our pamphlet entitled Browns Busy Bees - Bringing The
Absorbing World of Honey Bees to Your School, gives some details of the
program we offer designed to fit in with the primary curriculum at
various levels, something about who we are, asfety features and costs.
In
our experience these school visits are the most rewarding part of our
beekeeping acitivites.  The profit margin compared to the return on
retailing our honey ($4.50 per kg.) or pollination ($30 per hive) is far
greater.  Admittedly I was a primary teacher in a previous life, but my
partner had no such experience.  We make a great team now and most
schools
book us back for the next year.

Anne Brown
Australia