From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:44:25 -0800
Queen Rearing Poll

I am planning on raising my own queens this coming year.  There are several options I am considering to initiate the development of the queen cells, none of which involve grafting (at this time).  The first involves inserting a Miller frame into the middle of the brood area of my selected hive ( Miller frame has inverted triangles of foundation hanging from the top bar.)  After the queen has laid in the triangles of newly drawn comb, the comb is then inserted into my queenless colony.  The second involves shaving down the height of the cells, then using a metal tube to punch out cells of day old larvae and adhering the complete cell vertically from a cross bar.  The frame with 3 cross bars with about 15 of these cells on each bar is then placed in the middle of the brood area of a queenless colony in the same manner as grafted cells.

I am wondering if anyone in the group has utilized either of these methods and if so, how it worked for them and their observed results.

Mike in LA