Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 09:55:37 -0500

> If this arguement is just a prejudice against the concept of
> organic products then the argument is doing a disservice to
> the beekeeping industry.

"Organic products" mean different things to different people,
and to the many standards organizations that certify something
to be "organic". I have nothing against the practice of organic
farming and purchase some items that I feel are better products
as a result of using those techniques. But I am very unhappy about
some of the claims put forth about the advantages of organic products.

> If the honey that I can produce on an unihabited island in the
> middle of the South Pacific can not be called organic then
> there is a problem with the system unrelated to the quality of
> the honey.

That is correct. By some standards if there is one farmer within
a given area that is not using organic methods you cannot be an
organic producer of honey. No matter what. Because that
(the use of land in your area) is the standard, not what is
in the honey.
--

There is no doubt we need govenment in our lives. There is also no doubt
that we need salt in our diet. Watch out for too much of either one.
AA4YU http://www.beekeeper.org http://www.q7.net