Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 16:20:28 -0600
My newly installed TBH colony (this is day 11) has had a rough start, and I
need to get an opinion or two.  On the 7th day, I opened the hive to find
that the queen cage had fallen to the floor of the hive in such a way as to
block her escape.  The entire screened in portion of the cage where she is
attended to, was also face down.  She was alive and very ready to get out
of her "cell".  When I released her,  she immediately ran into the dark and
disappeared into the area where the bees were currently drawing combs.  The
particular queen cage had small slits in the side and I can only assume she
was able to get food in some manner using one of them.

I need to go back a couple of days prior to the first (1st week)
inspection.  My other hive which was installed (also from a package) the
same day and which was installed on foundation in a Lang,  had for several
days been bringing in copious quantities of willow pollen.  (I don't know
how this area will be for nectar, but there are a couple of miles of river
below with acres of willow, cottonwood, and alder all of which I have been
told are excellent pollen producers).

The activity at the TBH was altogether different.  There was considerable
bee activity at both hives, but in the TBH where the queen was unable to
get out and lay eggs, it seemed almost chaotic around the hive.   At first
I suspected robbing but after many hours (of absolutely fascinating
beeginner beekeeper observation time), in which time I could not find any
actual evidence of such criminal activity, finally decided that it had to
be something else.

On about Day 5, it appeared that the TBH colony seemed to be made of about
1/3 drones.  There were drones everywhere.  After watching quite a while,
it seemed that the drones were being escorted / forced from the hive by
armed guards.

Today,  on Day 11, which is 4 days from manually having released the lady
in question,  the TBH workers are also bringing in tremendous quantities of
pollen.  In fact they have been noticeably active in pollen gathering since
yesterday....

Here's the rub.   In addition to still acting somewhat frazzled and
somewhat disorganized, there still seems to be that very high ratio of
drones to workers at this hive when compared with the other hive.  The
drones are still getting "the boot" from workers at the hive entrance.
Could you explain what I'm dealing with?  What could be the result (other
than a setback in time) of a very long confinement by the queen.

I'm itching to get into the hive and take a peek, but am trying to avoid
upsetting what must be a disturbed group.

What would you do?