From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 21:22:54 +0900
>I have heard of using burlap instead of an inner cover. At $.30 compared to
>$6.50 for wood it is certainly cheaper. Of course a wooden one could be
>substituted for drip-feeding or with an escape if those methods are used, but
>are there any other advantages/disadvantages to using burlap?

><< A number of  commercial lids or inner-covers I have seen in use have a
>3/8"
> - 1/2" rim on the underside.  Can't say why -- the top-bee-space (the
> "standard" in North America) then ends up way too large, and the bees can
> plug that all up with burr comb, = pain-in-in-the-neck. >>

I do not believe the inside of a hive is an appropriate place for burlap or
hessian, as it will absorb moisture and create a haven for moulds to form.
I believe the inner covers of wood are designed for extremely cold climates
- I will stick with my squares of floor vinyl (even cheaper than 30c.) - the
bees don't fasten them to the frames as they do wood and they peel off
without structural damage.  The aim is to stop moisture condensing and
dripping down onto the bees and the bonus is that the bees will not build
burr comb in the lid space above.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island