From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:15:03 -0400
DAVID ADAMS wrote:

>Interesting enough is that with all the pesticides  one
> of the most used things in brazil for combating greening is copper
> and spray oil. That was a main stay here back in the 60's and 70's
> before the swing to all the new chemicals, which kind of tells me
> ,alot of the old school methods would still work if it weren't for
> good advertising and following your neighbors chemical truck.

Might also be that copper is not the best thing to use since it can
build up in the soil and kill earthworms and other organisms, as well
as drain off and is deadly to aquatic life. It can also cosmetically
damage the fruit.

It is also taken up by the plant (systemic anyone) and "heavy metals"
are not something you want to add to the list of ingredients.

Copper sprays are still around in the US and sold by the same bad
people that advertise it just like the other chemicals.

Old school methods did a lot of damage but then, we did not live very
long anyway, so who cared.

I found this on the net as it relates to high concentrations of copper
in the diet.

"When the personality is not fully integrated or the copper becomes
too high, negative traits show up. These include spaciness, racing
thoughts, living in a dream world, naiveté, childishness, excessive
emotions, sentimentality, a tendency to depression, fearfulness,
hidden anger and resentments, phobias, psychosis and violence.
Artists, inventors and other high-copper types often "live on the
edge", in part due to their high copper level.

The copper personality tends to accumulate copper easily. Copper
functions as a psychological defense mechanism. It causes one to
detach slightly from reality. This provides relief from stress for the
sensitive individual. It works well as long as the copper does not
become too high. Very high copper can cause a psychotic break from
reality, a type of schizophrenia."

Sounds like we have a lot of high copper people on the BeeL.

So I would not want to use Brazil as a model for much anything, since
they revel in the fact that they have saved on the use of trucks and
diesel for sugar cane production by using peasants instead.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine