From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 09:44:25 -0700
There are many who don't want their names dropped, to get dragged in
controversy, or be even remotely associated with misinformation.

Nonetheless, many are watching, and some venture an observation or two in
the background.  Here is a comment I received recently.  Name withheld.  I
left off one comment of a personal nature at the end.

                    --- begin quote ---

Subject: thelytoky

Not to be a nit picker but;

(1) Parthenogenic reproduction and reproduction by thelytoky are not the
same.  Parthenogenic reproduction is asexual, i.e. "cloning", barring the
very rare event of an autosomal mutation.  Thelytoky on the other hand is
sexual, albeit the same individual provides the "sperm" and the "egg" which
is a product of reduction division, hence reassortment occurs.

(2) Thelytoky has been around a long time in the US.  My photocopy of an
article lacks a readable citation but I believe it is Journal of Economic
Entomology, vol 36 pges 465-467 June 1943 in which Otto Mackensen has an
article entitled "The Occurrence of Parthenogentic Females in Some Strains
of Honeybees". Well before Kerr in Brazil you might want to note.

(3) Taber has a column in Gleanings (8/89) in which he mentions Arizona
thelytoky.  I talked to him about this at a later date but he never
mentioned the beekeepers name (Lusby?)  It had come about before he retired
from Tucson

(4) Ruttner worked out the mechanism of thelytoky in Apis mellifera capensis
and reported his results in Apidologie 1983 vol 14 (1) pges 41-57 among
other places.

                    --- end quote ---

FWIW, I know that the Tucson lab was working on thelytoky a few years back
when I visited, but do not know if it was ever completed, or whether the
pheremone work eclipsed it.

And, also, many of us think that thelyoky is a useful property in bees, and
in no way threatening.

allen