From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 08:35:04 -0400
> " Rudolf Steiners prediction in 1923 that mankind would lose the
honeybee in eighty years time is looking ominnnously correct"

Interesting discussion.  Seems to me, however, that this list often gets
focused on North American problems, and assumes that they are
representative of the entire world.  As far as I know, worldwide
beekeeping is growing and thriving. One simple indicator is in the price
of honey and wax.  There is no shortage, and the glut is growing.

Maybe we need to consider the rest of the world before we declare a
worldwide disaster?

To note just one large gap in our perspective, Asia is home to over 60% of
the world's human population, has a huge and divese land mass and is home
to several honey bee species and numerous races.

We do have some members from Europe, Great Britain, Australia, Africa, and
Greece, plus people who have been to other spots in the world on extension
or missionary work.

Do we have any Asian representation, or enough information to draw
conclusions about the state of bees and beekeeping in Asia?

How about Africa?  We have at least one person there, but Africa has
numerous very distinct regions and honey bee races.

In South America, there are several races, a number of distict and
separate climactic zones, and the number of hives is growing at an
alarming rate (from a North American beekeeper's perspective) .  Anyone in
South America care to comment?

Australia is, last I heard, doing OK.  In fact they are exporting bees to
North America, as is New Zealand.  Anyone care to comment from that region?

I realise that I am leaving out other significant regions of the world
(Malaysia?) and I apologise for that.  I am short of time, and, as I
started out saying, quite ignorant about worldwide beekeeping.  Hopefully
some others will fill me in.

How about speaking up from your corner of the world with your location and
a status report?  In short, does it look as if we are in danger of losing
the honeybee (sic) this decade or anytime soon, (and  which race/species
of honey bee is your local favourite).
http://www.beesfordevelopment.org/info/info/species/honey-bee-species.shtml