Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:17:26 -0500
Brad,

In this area our bees love winter honeysuckle or bush honeysuckle, or
"wintersweet" as some English people call it.  Whatever, its book-name is
*Lonicera fragrantissima* and when it blooms in January, our spring build-up
kicks off.

The ordinary vine honeysuckle (Lonicera sp.) blooms 3 months later.  We
rarely see the bees on it; its flowers are too long and narrow, not like the
winter honeysuckle which has short white flowers.  The hummingbirds really
go for it though.  They start arriving about the time it blooms.  They also
are fond of the trumpet-vine honeysuckle (L. sempervirens).

Walter Weller
West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana

Subject: Re: Robinia pseudoacacia!