Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:09:05 -0400
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> > There was a study just on this issue and it was best to release the
attendants

> Yeah well, I have "studied" it too, and I say it doesn't make any
difference. But seriously, is the topic attendants or successful
introduction?

Just to show that there is nothing new under the sun, especially if you
search the archives (from April 2006)--

Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Peter Borst wrote, "I don't
> think it makes any difference whether you let the attendants out."  Bill
> Truesdell remembers someone's graphs.
>
> Bill Truesdell wrote:
>
> > Bill Truesdell remembers someone's graphs.
> >
> > I am sure Wyatt Mangum has observed a marked increase in successful
> queen introduction based on
> > his experiments with his hundreds of observation hives.
>
> It was Wyatt's graphs. He also brought along smokers and other items and
> gave two great talks, the
> am about smokers and the like and the pm on his findings. Great speaker.
>
> There are links on the net about his findings but all are talking about
> them. I could not find
> something written by him.
>
> Thanks, Aaron.
>
> Bill
>
> Aaron Morris wrote:
>
> Mike in LA asked what Wyatt Mangum did to enduce a marked increase in the
> successful introduction (of queens).
>
> Answer: he removed the attendants from the queen cage before introducing
> the caged queen to his bees.  I don't recall what the statistically
> significant increase was, but my recollection when reading the article was,
> "Hmmm, if I can increase queen acceptance by that much simply by removing
> attendants, henceforth I will do so."  Since reading the article, and
> having removed attendants from that point forward, I cannot say if I have
> or have not noticed an increase in MY queen acceptance, I didn't keep the
> records either before or after to make a statistical claim.  Mostly I am
> removing the attendants while I'm in the process of marking my queens (as
> Peter recommended).  If as Wyatt's study showed, I am increasing the
> liklihood that my now marked queen will be accepted, that's icing on the
> cake.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron

Bill Truesdell