From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 01:27:03 -0700
Roy has this one pegged:
>The Oil on
> paper is not new by any means.I don't think we should put anyone down. I
> used the paper and oil myself plus a paper and oil with pepernint oil.The
> later can be toxic to bees.I did get that info from a researcher and I
> know of at least 20 people working very hard at the problem of Varroa. We
> have problems to  address with research that is going on now. What affect
> does the oil have on egg laying. Will the larva be feeding at the same
> rate and will it change anything in the life cycle of the bee.We do know
> that we have beekeepers all over trying different things to kill the mite.
> I do appreciate the good Dr. R's work. It is too much like what we have
> been doing for the last year , to call it a great breakthru. It will be
> good results to be added with what we have now.
>  Best Regards
>  Roy

The responses of the members of this list clearly show how desperate we
are for a "cure".  But in the long run, the cure just could turn out to be
harder on the bees than the mites.  My concern is there seems to be a
growing trend where various substances, still in preliminary phases of
testing, are touted as the magic bullet.  Even more bothersome is that
careful research results (which take time to collect) are viewed as not
useful or contributing little to beekeepers and the industry.  On the
other hand, it seems that proclaimations or assertation of success
(with or without any supporting evidence) are trusted more than rigorous
study.  Unfortunately, the progress of valid science is seldom a quick
process.

Jerry Bromenshenk

P.S.  As I remember one of the first hints concerning the effects of oils
on mites had to do with an empty jar of Vaseline Petroleum Jelly.