From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:53:30 -0600
> Ok I'm going to go through this one time and I'm not going to
> furnish any papers to prove that I'm not lying.

Well, I don't know why anyone would think you were lying. I don't.
appreciate your taking the time to explain what you know and what you
have heard for our benefit.

A lot of beekeepers do things under mistaken assumptions or from
misunderstanding research results or directions, and I think it's
reasonable to ask for evidence before believing what is one is told
-- especially if new information does not agree with what one has
heard before.

This is a particularly intriguing matter that affects many thousands
of dollars in cost -- either of treatment -- or losses if it doesn't
work, so please excuse any scepticism.  Non-sceptical beekeepers
tend to lose their bees sooner or later.

Since the orginal discussion started, I have received some private
email from several researchers indicating that they believe these
techniques merit some investigation.  One says that the trial he did
resulted in no significant benefit compared to controls, but he
soaked cardboard in salad oil, not towels.  (Maybe it's the towel that
does the trick, not the oil)  And the trial was in July -- not the
best time.

What you write below is interesting because I was sure that the
original post was talking about *liquid* oils, not grease.

There is some speculation about the mechanisms that are involved with
the grease treatments and I am familiar with many, if not all.

However, I do not believe that anyone has *proven* how it works --
only that it does, and that the effects seem independant of the brand
or source of vegetable oil.

One particularly interesting theory is that the breakdown of oil
(rancidity) produces a chemical much like a pheremone that the mite
uses to detect young bees.  Of course a wag might just say that the
grease just makes it harder to climb into a trachea :)

> It is thought that during the removal of the vegetable oil from the
> hive creates greasy bees.  This in turn hinder the migration of the
> mature V-mites from the older bees to the younger bees.  The patties
> can be in the form of Crisco or other solid vegetable oils placed
> directly on a paper towel or can be patties without the terrimycen.
> Some people say that the paper towel method is better and others
> like the patty method.  Personally I make my patties only about half
> a pound is size and put them between waxed paper.

Now what is not clear here is whether you mix sugar into the patties
or just slice off some Crisco.  I've wondered why that wouldn't
work, but have not heard of it being done, and tested against
controls.

I've wondered about spraying the bees lightly with salad oil, and
I've heard of oil fogging, and other things too.  BUT no matter how
nifty these ideas are, I, for one, need someone to try them against
controls to decide I should rely on them.

> As far as I know there are no official papers written about this
> method.  It is something that is being tried by numerous beekeers in
> Georgia and Tennessee and seems to be an effective method of slowing
> the spread of V-mites during production periods when the bees cannot
> be medicated.

I wonder about the word 'seems'.  A lack of scientific measurements is
unfortunate.  Perhaps that will be remedied soon.  Hard facts save
cold cash.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>