From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 19:08:02 +0900
>Some of my collected swarms have not built up much over the summer so I have
>a few hives of about 3-4 frames each. Can I unite 3 of these to make one hive
>all at once using the newspaper method? What else can be done to maximize the
>use of these hives, they obviously won't make it on their own.

Uniting weak hives is recommended by mid to late autumn depending on the
severity of the climate so giving at least one hive sufficient population to
survive the winter.  It is difficult to assess which queens to kill since
they are probably all inferior stock otherwise the swarm would have
increased to viable size.

A better alternative if you have time to let a hive increase in size before
winter shut down is to requeen.  Queens purchased from a reputable breeder
will be laying 3 - 5 days after introduction and provided there are
sufficient nectar sources to keep the brood fed, will greatly increase the
population and the chance of survival over winter, within 4 - 8 weeks.
Autumn bred queens will also start laying vigorously in spring giving the
hive a healthy start.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island