From:
BRIAN HENSEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 23:56:00 -0800
HELLO ALL BEEKEEPERS!

Allen Dick wrote:

> >     They have mentioned a surprise coming to the bee's rescue. I will
> > watch and report on it if anybody is interested.  It looks good but I
>
> I'll be interested to hear about that.
>
> Regards
>
> Allen
>
> W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
> RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
> Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
> Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>

EDWIN BADGET WROTE "Is station channel 4 a public station?"  "Will it
air again?"

Yes, channel 4 KRON is a local station here in California.  It was more
of a news report and not likely to be aired again.

ANDY NACHBAUR WROTE "Was it hype or fact?"  Maybe they will give Honey
Nut Cheerios a plug.

It was very factual because they interviewed two local beekeepers, Mr.
Frank Carrier, and Dave Williams.  Frank has a store that he sells his
honey and beekeeping supplies, and bee's wax candles.  He said that he
now has to sell Apistan strips for the varroa mite problem, something he
never had until a couple years ago.  He said that people are starting to
realize that their gardens and vegetables are not producing any fruit
and vegetables.  They wonder where has all the bee's gone?  Frank said
that there are no wild bee's to pollinate gardens and the only bee's
around are from his hives.
     Dave Williams talked about the need for a long term solution to the
varroa problem, that apistan is just a stop gap solution.  He said that
large agriculture depends on pollination, and that they have not yet
been effected dramatically but could be soon, if a better solution is
not found quickly.  The reason for this is because most beekeepers have
been able to keep varroa under control.
     The reporters said that varroa has completely wiped out all the
wild hives and the only bee's that are seen are those kept by
beekeepers.  They reported that according to UC Davis entomologists
varroa has shown that they can build up a resistance to apistan and that
is what is really scary.  They reported that big corporate American
businesses have began to worry, that something must be done, and showed
that General Mills is starting the Save The Bee campaign.  They
explained that part of the money will go to UC Davis for more research.
     Over all the report was accurate, but I think that they could have
spent allot more time on the subject.  They reported that apistan is the
only thing available to fight against varroa, which I think is
inaccurate.  They didn't mention anything about essential oil research,
or the possible breeding varroa resistant bee's.  I think that this is
the real answer.  If we can somehow breed bee's to have a grooming
habit, where they will groom each other, then the varroa won't have a
chance to get started, even in those bee's that swarm.
     If there are any queen breeders on Bee-L do you think that this is
possible?  If there is a possibility to breed bee's to be good, groomers
how much of this trait can be strengthened to the point that it is 100%
affective?

     Several people have asked me if there was a local bee club that I
belong to.  Yes, I am a member of the Sonoma County Beekeepers
Association, so is my 8 year old daughter, who has fallen in love with
bee's, and she has learned so much, she wants to start a hive next
spring of her own.  My one hive is free of varroa, and I have just
requeened the 1st of October, and the new queen is laying eggs like
mad.  I will remove the apistan strips next month and try essential
oils, and try and keep varroa out.

BRIAN HENSEL