Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 15:27:47 GMT
-- Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I am always surprised when many beeks gasp at fluvalinate and coumaphos being the highest chemical found in brood nest comb by researchers....

>Why wouldn't both be the most found chemicals with the highest levels?

this brings up a few thoughts:

1. why do beekeepers feel justified in asking everyone else (farmers, homeowners) to reduce their pesticide usage to "help the bees", yet never ever consider that the "lowest hanging fruit" as far as reducing chemical contamination in the hive is in the hands of the beekeeper?  ...as these substances are both the biggest source of contamination, and deliberately put inside the hive by the beekeeper.

2. unless we are to assume that the researchers at penn state are overlooking the obvious, we can assume that the samples of pollen (both beebread and trapped), brood, foundation, bees were _not_ taken from hives that were being treated at the time.  trapped pollen has _never_ been in the broodnest...either the bees themselves, or the nectar/honey they take from the hive to pack it into the pollen baskets must be the source of contamination.

3.  it's one thing if there is some kind of "encapsulated contamination" in the wax...but near lethal levels in the brood should be cause for concern.

4.  how would you respond to a customer who says, "i saw this video online from a bee researcher at penn state.  they found that the highest levels of chemical contamination in the comb, bees, brood, beebread, trapped pollen was from chemicals put in the hive by the beekeeper...and they are specifically not testing the honey.  i'm concerned that these chemicals are also in the honey."

deknow