From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:21:54 +0100
Hi P-O

> For some reason Buckfast is not considered useful in the UK,
> while used with good result in other parts of Europe.

I have no particular problem with Buckfast principles, but I have never
yet seen what I would class as good performance, by Buckfast in my area
of UK, They were very gentle bees about 30 years ago, but the more
modern versions are not as good (my opinion). I do not have experience
of them in Europe, where I know they sustain a strong band of followers.

>> A sting on the hand if you move too fast is tolerated.
>>
>> Why ? I do not wish to tolerate it, nor would I expect it in well
>> refined stocks.

I am probably nit picking on this point, once you get to an adequate
degree of gentleness, you can turn your attention to refining other
points. I also take you point on inbreeding, which I am suspicious may
have occurred in some of my stocks in the past, but never got around to
proving it, it certainly did not show as any lack of brood viability.

> I need vital bees more that can survive in the ever faster
> changing environment.

I agree entirely, but I hold that such adaptability is shown in greater
measure by AMM than any other race.

> Without the difference there is nothing to select for, and we will
> not be able to improve the bees. In all breeding programs with bees
> (except the Starline-Midnight program that were real hybrids) the
> difference will gradually decrease until they are almost even. Then
> what? Can we happily lean back and think we solved it by just
> maintaining the "good" stock? Or should we continue to try improve our
> bees by introducing new genetic material and let nature decide what is
> best suited for the bees now and here?

Sorry about the long quote...

As a breeding process advances the increments of improvement become
smaller, but such a process is never 'finished', because conditions,
pests and other factors change we must steer our programs to slightly
different goals, sitting back and thinking we have achieved our aims
will soon be by-passed by reality and we will have wasted valuable time.

> I don't see race purity as a means to achieve diversity

(I hope my re-ordering of your words has not offended, or changed your
meaning and intent)

Too many people equate racial purity with 'sameness' or limited
diversity, it is possible to have a very broad spectrum of diversity
within a large population that is stable, I do not see it as an accident
that the AMM indigenous area is larger than that of any other race, I
believe it is a representation of the diversity and adaptability of that
race. Such large populations allow the freedom to change course more
easily when conditions do change.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)