From:
Hans-Ulrich THOMAS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 22:50:16 +0100
>Do any others have allergy tales? What did you do about the allergy
>- were you able to get rid of it?
>
>Still recovering...
>Casey Burns, Kingston WA

Casey,

I don't have a tale just facts what happened in my case. I developed an
allergy to bee stings after picking up this hobby 12 years ago. Tests at
the local hospital proved this and also showed that I am not allergic to
wasp stings. Subsequent desensibilisation treatment was successful and by
now I only get a mild swelling or no reaction at all. According to the
medical doctor this kind of treatment is effective for about 80% of the
people. For the other 20% the situation either does not improve or worsens
it.

A couple of years ago I got stung by three hornets (Vespa crabro) in my leg
when I tried to relocate a nest in a bird cage. It was very painful but I
experienced no other reaction.

I am enjoying beekeeping, but with a veil, just in case!

Hans