From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:41:26 -0500
So I couldn't help but share.  I'm not used to getting bee calls in
November here in Michigan, but the weather actually cooperated.  A tree
service called my wife's uncle, well you know how all that works, in any
case they cut into an oak tree and found a good size nest of honey bees.
They used their crane to bring it back to their headquarters and then tried
to find someone to take the bees since they didn't want to kill them.

It will be interesting to see if they make it through the winter, it was
warm enough for them to recluster and they only cut through dry comb near
the entrance... but, there's always a but.  The original entrance was cut
off and was also at the bottom of the nest.  Not having any effective way
to suspend a six foot oak log upside- down to creat a bottom entrance again
I had to flip them upright.  Hopefully they can move down through their
stores effectively =(.

I built a custom cap out of a top cover I made and hadn't put metal on yet
to fit the angle of the top of the log.  I made a slatted rack style
transition so they hopefully don't fill the whole thing with comb and make
it a mess to remove.  If all goes well next year I can lure them out with
some brood in the top box, though I personally think it makes a rather
pretty hive.

My wife likes to take lots of pictures so I uploaded to photobucket, I'm
always a sucker for free-bees.  They seem to perform better than the ones I
purchase anyway.
http://s1113.beta.photobucket.com/user/cusickje/library/Bee%20Tree

Jeremy
West Michigan

Best of all I have a new tree service contact.