From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2011 22:25:53 -0500
Hello All,

In a post on BEE-L by me on December 28 th. 2007 I brought up the subject of
a possible link between diesel fumes and hives found dead and dying right
after being unloaded from a several day long road trip.

Randy O. has tossed the hypothesis up to me as a wild accusation but Randy
has not spent the time I have on the road let alone the nights I have spent
in truck stops with the air full of diesel fumes.

Even before CCD I questioned our driver taking our hives up to the truck
stop
and letting the hives be exposed to a fog of fumes of 12 hours.

Both the first loads which crashed of Dave Hackenberg & Lance Sundberg were
exposed to prolonged periods of diesel fumes with winter additive.

For those (like Randy O.) with little experience with semi's I will share
the fact that you NEVER want to get diesel fuel with the winter additive on
bare skin. The smell kind of burns the nose.

I have drove semi trucks since the first CDL license at 18 years old in
Kansas. Fuelers at the largest LTL shipper in the country which I drove for
always wore gloves when handling diesel fuel *with winter additives*.

The additives are different for different areas and are mostly to keep
diesel fuel from jelling when temps drop.

I am glad to see at least the U.K. is looking at a possible connection
between fumes & bees. Diesel fumes could always be problems but *in my
opinion* worse to breathe when additives are used in winter.

The oil companies are powerful in the U.S. and as you can see by reading my
post from 2007 the CCD team quickly looked away from  possible *in your
face* reasons for hive loss in favor of the * send
millions for virus issue hypothesis*.

researchers also dismissed the obvious connection between virus and nosema
ceranae and CCD from the start ( including Randy Oliver) when many
commercial beekeepers wondered why.

Then we realized *in our opinions* the reason was about securing millions in
funding.

A recent Bee Culture magazine had two articles on the neonics and bee
problems ( Clarence C. & Marion E.)

I told the list years ago that in the future researchers would finally do
research in these areas.

At least researchers in the U.K. have the back bone to look into a *possible
connection* between diesel fumes and bee problems. As Phil said those
researchers must have found a link to secure the amount of funding posted.

I am not dissing Randy and others which have disagreed with me on the above
three subjects but only saying my hypothesis from years ago are getting
serious research now.

1. nosema ceranae & virus causing serious issues with bees in the Midwest.

2. the neonics causing serious issues with bees

3. a possible connection between diesel fumes (with additives) on confined
bees on semi's in cold weather.

Thanks for the post Phil!

bob