From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 11:06:35 -0800
 Hello , Spring is a wonderful time of the year for a beginning
beekeeper. For some of you ,what ever you see in the hive will be new to
you. You can read a book , but the true learning comes from what you see
in your bees. To start off right , you should keep a record of what you
see in the hive. But remember that the weather has an effect on the bees.
So always note the temp , wind and sun ect. By writting it down and
keeping good records you will learn about your bee behavior in your
location. Books are good guides.When you start to find out what your bees
are getting necter from and pollen.You put down the date and now your
keeping a good history to look back on in the future.We had a 500 acer
clear cut about 500 yards form by bees a couple of years ago. That has
changed my early flow data.Beekeepers need to keep there eyes open to
nature all the time.You will find yourself looking for buds on trees and
plants all the time. You don't need to have a bunch of hives to be a good
beekeeper. You should have at least 2 so you have something to compare to
and use to start another queen if needed.
   If your in the USA use the legal treatment for Varroa.Don't let some
one talk you into using something else that they say will work. I don't
care who they are , do it right.New beekeepers need to pay attention to
there hive more than in the past. I'm affraid that some people thought
that they can just put a hive in there back yard and let them go on there
own. Thats not a beekeeper.Boy do they miss something wonderful.
 You have a place to get support on the net. Don't foreget your State
Apiarist.Beside giving you help , they learn more about the problems in
there state. I talked to my State Apiarist yesterday for about 45
minutes. We have Jim Bach in Wash. state and is super great to work with
on anything. They all want to help you , or they should.
  I still go out on good days and sit down beside a hive and watch the
bees come and go.When you have a good flow going , you can tell that the
bees are full of nectar when they drop on the landing board like little
rocks.
Write down what you see. You will learn more in the long run and have a
greater understanding of the bees.
The Best in Beekeeping
 Roy