From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 07:38:14 -0500
Hi Peter and everyone,

I have used UV light in an educational demonstration for teaching beekeepers how to look for AFB scale.  It works very well but many other biological materials also fluoresce such as pollen and even the combs seem to have a little but the scale shows up nicely.  Try it first with a comb that you know has some scale in and you will quickly see what to look for.  In the demonstration it worked very well to show beekeepers where on the comb to look for the scale so after seeing it under the UV they could easily find it in normal light.  I think UV could be used for inspecting combs for AFB scale and allow you to find those with only a few scales more easily.

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture