From:
"Joseph A. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:03:02 -0400
Hello All,

I've just received my first package of bees, and the Master Beekeeper from
our local beekeepers association was kind enough to assist me in making
the transfer to the hive.  Actually, he transferred the bees, and I stood and
tried to be of some assistance to him.

While we were transferring, the bees seemed to focus on the crown of my
head, which is exactly where I spray minoxidil (Rogaine) twice a day.
Admittedly, I was not wearing a veil, since we figured the bees would be
more interested in getting out of the box and into a safe place like a hive
body.

This also happened on Thursday, while visiting another beekeeper's bee yard.
The bee seemed to be attracted to the crown of my head.

I'm not using the brand-name Rogaine, but rather a generic put out by Costco
under the Kirkland label.  Nonetheless, it's the same formula as the product
put out by Upjohn.  I don't know if there's a perfume additive to either of
the products, but if so, that may be what attracts the bees.  Looking at the
label, it lists the ingredients as minoxidil 5%, alcohol 30% by volume,
propylene
glycol 50% by volume, and water.  No mention of perfume at all.

Thanks,

Joe