From:
Roger Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:24:00 -0400
It seems to me it would be of great value to know the where abouts of bees
that have disappeared from hives determined to be victims of CCD. Did they
just leave and relocate? Or did they leave and die?
If they just relocated wouldn't that tell us something about the problem?
If they died and we could find the bodies couldn't we test them to help
determine what the cause was?
To this end, surely there are micro-chips small enough  to placed on honey
bees for tracking purposes. Obviously, it would be impractical to place
chips on thousands of bees in a hive but if these chips were placed on
only the queens it seems to me that would do the trick. The queen could be
relocated (dead or alive) and this would help diagnose what is going on.

Since the California pecan pollination seems to be the hot spot for lost
hives, perhaps one of the big pollinators would volunteer a hundred
(hundreds needed?) hives and funding could be secured for the cost of
chips and the equipment need to track down and locate the missing bees.
Find the where abouts of the dead or relocated queens and I think you will
be on your way to solving the CCD problem.

Thoughts?