From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2014 15:38:50 -0400
My favorite moving/disorientation story was told to me back in the 1970s. In the Imperial Valley it routinely goes to 120F temperatures in the summer. Bees have to be kept under shades made from poles and palm fronds. These are called armadas.

Anyway, the beekeeper unloaded the bees and placed them under the ramada. I suspect this was done during daylight. His usual practice was to pick up the bees at dusk, move them from the coast back to the desert, and unload at dawn.

Some days later he was driving past another nearby ramada, and saw a gigantic swarm under the roof. He figured the bees flew out, memorized the ramada -- but not so well. When returning from the fields, the simply flew into the first ramada that looked like theirs, but no hives were in there!

PLB