From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2017 00:49:11 -0300
moving eggs ...? this is more weird ...

Cytogenetic basis of thelytoky in *Apis mellifera capensis*
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs13592-017-0505-7

Abstract

Haplodiploid insects reproduce both sexually and asexually; haploid males
arise from unfertilized eggs, while diploid females arise from fertilized
eggs. Some species can also produce female offspring by thelytokous
parthenogenesis. For example, queenless workers of the Cape honey bee, *Apis
mellifera capensis*, of South Africa can produce diploid female offspring
from unfertilized eggs. Genetic evidence suggests that in *A. m. capensis*,
diploidy is restored in zygotes by the fusion of two maternal pronuclei,
the haploid descendants of the two alternate products of meiosis I. Here,
we confirm this genetic evidence by direct cytological observation of
pronucleus fusion. We also provide a description of how the fusion occurs
at 4.5–5 h post oviposition and describe the meiotic events that lead up to
and follow the fusion. Finally, we document numerous departures from the
typical meiotic patterns, which likely explain some of the anomalous *A*. *m.
capensis* individuals that have been previously identified genetically.