From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:18:41 -0700
Tim Sterrett asked:

>   A member of our bee association asked about the danger from hanta
>virus when cleaning mouse residue/nests out of bee hive bodies.  Anyone
>want to address this?
>   (Hanta virus can be transmitted from mice to humans by contact with
>mouse feces.  The virus has been found in the southwest and northeast
>U.S.  The virus can cause death in humans.)

   The highest known incidence of Hanta virus occurs on the Northern
Channel Islands (more than 50% of the mice carry the virus in some parts)
here in Santa Barbara County.  During the past 30 years of research on
Santa Cruz Island I have caught a great many deer mice and also cleaned our
living quarter, raising a great deal of dust in the process.

   After the first deaths occurred due to Hanta virus in the U.S., many of
us long term visitors to the island were tested for antibodies; we all came
out negative.  It appears that there are different strains of that virus,
and the strain out on the islands --- at least so far --- is benign to
human beings.  I should add that a field worker near Santa Barbara died
from the virus, and a student died while doing research up in the Mammoth
Lakes area.

                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                    (805) 963-8508 (home phone)
967 Garcia Road                     (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93103

*

*     "Nature only answers rightly when she is rightly questioned."

*

*                                                      Goethe