From:
stephen rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 00:18:18 -0400
Hi all.
A friend of mine lives off Vancouver island and has seen some of the decline of apiaries in the area. A neighbour running a 400 hive operation is down to 40 this spring. My friend also watched the CBC Nature of Things documentary on CCD.  So now he has asked me what I think about the idea of buying large quantities of honey and storing it until it increases in price. He thinks that with bees in trouble all over the world, honey may become more scarce and rise in price.
    I told him that I have no experience in that sort of thing, but that I think good quality honey doesn't really store very well. Might be better if he bought it and bottled it and stored it cool, or creamed it and did so. Heated honey will store better, but it's not worth as much. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Seems rather alarmist, too, to think that CCD is so bad that the world wide honey crop would fail.  But I've been wrong before... so, anyone got another view?