From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:39:24 -0400
> The recent medical controversy over whether vaccinations cause autism reveals a habit
of human cognition -- thinking anecdotally comes naturally, whereas thinking scientifically
does not.

> Our brains are belief engines that employ association learning to seek and find patterns.
Superstition and belief in magic are millions of years old, whereas science, with its methods
of controlling for intervening variables to circumvent false positives, is only a few hundred
years old.

from
"How Anecdotal Evidence Can Undermine Scientific Results, Why subjective anecdotes often
trump objective data" By Michael Shermer. August 2008 Scientific American Magazine