From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2007 10:51:34 +0000
> We are mightly complaining about prices of $US .70 a liter.
Hi All

> We are mightly complaining about prices of $US .70 a liter.
> 43% higher in Canada!  What would our pollination industry
> look like with petrol prices 43% higher?

I wonder how sustainable the US pollination industry would be with UK fuel prices?  Our average at-the-pump price is 97.3p per litre for unleaded petrol.  At today's exchange rate that's 198.7 cents (US Dollar cents) per litre, in other words 2.84 times the price over your side of the pond.

> We pay ALOT of tax per liter of fuel.
> But the farmers are cut a break on alot of that tax.
> Last drop I paid .73 cent dyed diesel, and 88 cent dyed gas.

For us, domestic customers pay 98.3p per litre of diesel.  Farmers get a tax break on that, which I believe may roughly half the cost.  Not sure whether or not commercial beekeepers benefit from red diesel.

FWIW, high taxation of transport fuel is, in my eyes, one essential step towards making the planet sustainable, despite the damage to individuals and businesses.  I see that Wal-Mart is starting to look at the carbon footprint of some of the products it sells, so these global sustainability issues may impact on beekeeping in new ways.

all the best

Gavin