From:
Dick Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2008 12:00:08 -0400
Thanks Pete. Well I suppose Apis cerana and Apis mellifera are probably the two closest related
species with mellifera being a bit larger.

If memory serves me correctly, I’ve read (but can’t remember where) that cerana and mellifera
bees have been shown to mate, although no offspring was produced.  Eva Crane has a drawing,
taken from Dade, in her book ‘Bees and Beekeeping’ of the drone endophallus of the four primary
species--cerana florea, dorsata, and mellifera. The endophallus of cerana and mellifera look
stikingly similar to one another, whereas those of the other two are noticeably different.

I’m curious to know if the other species would cohabitate at all. It seems unlikely to me although
I’m sure someone, somewhere has looked into it.

Trevor, I think, perhaps, there was some confusion about the races and species between Apis
mellifera capensis and Apis cerana.

Regards,
Dick Allen