From:
Richard Yarnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:27:46 -0700
We are not full time bee keepers (15-20 hives in rural Oregon). The
closest responding EMS is attached to a County Fire Station which is
partially manned by volunteers.  It's about 40 minutes to the nearest
hospital.  We do keep sheep and llamas and do our own injections for all
manner of diseases and prophylaxis.  As someone pointed out, an epipen
has a shelf life of not more than about 18 months from manufacture and
rarely can you say to the vendor, I want one that was put together
yesterday.  They are expensive because it's a gadget.

I asked my Doctor to prescribe epi which costs, retail, about $8 (US) for
three doses per vial.  I've loaded three syringes out of that vial and
keep them in a dark glass container with alcohol swabs (which probably
wouldn't be used).  They are in the door compartment in which we keep all
our perishable water based injectables.

I will say that the HMO was careful about its decision with respect to
this preparation.  In spite of my background, they required that I
demonstrate I knew how to deliver a sub Q injection and that I knew how to
load a syringe.  Although it was a nuisance to make an appointment to take
that practical test, I appreciate their position and think it was a good
decision.  (I'm on warfarin due to terrible circulation in a leg injured
in fall.  Because I'm so far from help but do work with rapidly moving
sharp instruments, I also keep a vial of Vitamin K on hand.  I think it
was the first time my HMO had ever prescribed that for self injection in
case of emergency.  The quid pro quo - a short course in when to use it
and specifically how/where.  That is with me whenever I'm alone on the
farm and working with chain-saws and all the whirling woodworking machines
that I'm privileged to have.  I also have it with me in our first aid kit
whenever I'm driving.)

I hope I'll not have to use either material, but as long as we do keep
bees, I'll have up to date medication on hand.  I feel far more
comfortable injecting epi than I would doing a trachiotomy, as the say,
under field conditions.

No matter whether you use a pen or a syringe, be sure you've had the
guidance of a doctor as to when its use is appropriate and how to give the
injection without putting the material directly into an artery or vein.

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Bob Harrison wrote:

> I still do
> not agree with Lloyds doctor refusing to prescribe a epipen for a full time
> adult beekeeper such as Lloyd. The epipen is the method to use *only* when
> the throat is closing and restricting air flow.

Richard Yarnell, SHAMBLES WORKSHOPS | No gimmick we try, no "scientific"
Beavercreek, OR. Makers of fine     | fix we attempt, will save our planet
Wooden Canoes, The Stack(R) urban   | until we reduce the population. Let's
composter, Raw Honey                | leave our kids a decent place to live.