From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 06:29:12 -0700

> >Subsequent research, in fact, failed to confirm a link between CCD and
> IAPV and found that although
> IAPV can result in honey bee mortality, the symptoms are not consistent
> with those of bees dying from CCD.

I'm gonna have to differ with the authors here.  In the first place, bees
don't die from CCD--CCD is merely a term that describes the common field
signs of certain collapsing colonies, and even that definition is likely too
narrow, as pointed out by Dr Bromenshenk--the term CCD should likely also
include colonies that dwindle in a certain manner.

That said, both Dr Diana Cox-Foster (in greenhouse experiments), and myself
in the Remebee trials, found that colonies infected by IAPV could indeed
collapse in a manner consistent with the various descriptions of CCD.

This is not to say that IAPV is the only culprit, but rather that
inoculation with IAPV can result in colony infection that either directly or
indirectly results in collapse identical to the definition of CCD.

As best I can tell, CCD-like collapse is a generic phenomenon that can be
caused by any number of combinations of stressors and pathogens that result
in the snowball effect described in my Sick Bees Part 2 article.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com