From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:29:09 -0700
To anyone who has used screen bottoms for several years:

We have talked about propolizing, and that apparently is not a problem, but I
wonder what kind of maintenance is required to keep the screens reasonably clean
over time and what the act of cleaning them is like.  What tools work best, if
any are required?

When we use solid bottoms for several years, a lot of junk piles up unless it is
scraped off.  When we cut comb and it falls into the hive or the bees chew off
comb, it falls to the bottom and sits there.  Usually, it builds up or is made
into stools.

After a few years, I would think that some kind of scraping or cleaning would be
needed, and that it might be hard on some kinds of screen.  Perhaps this
consideration should be paramount in selecting a mesh and wire size for the
screen.  Maybe not.  Does anyone have any real experience with this?

allen