From:
Komppa-Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:17:23 +0200
Herb
. Dr. C. C. Miller, one of the
> world's great beekeepers, clipped both wings on one side; A. I. Root
> recommended clipping one on each side because "it looks better"
>
> These people are my heroes and I have no reason (as yet) to doubt them

Yes they are my beekeeping heroes too. But they were not certified organic producers. One aim of organic ruling is to allow the production animals to live more nataural way compared to normal production. In EU organic cows must be put out to pasture to eat grass from the fiels on summertime. Pig farmers can not cut the tails off the pigs. And beekeepers in organic production can not cut the wings of a queen so that she can not fly out with a swarm if she decides to do so.

In a way I feel that the beekeepers that work without clipped queens are forced to look a bit more carefully after their bees not to loose so many swarms. Maybe  they take therefoere better care in other aspects too.

There is no reason to try figure out the rationale of all organic ruling because there is not. Now some of the rules seem to be based on feelings. It is like this because they are done in order to give the buyer a feeling that he or she is making a better choise when buying food. Most rules have some rationale behind them.

Which one of us would rather buy honey from a hive terated liberally with antibiotics and synthetic mictisides if there is a choise of honey produces without these ?  OK most of us are not willing o to pay much more for organic, but some people are, and therefore beekeepers should supply this market.

If someone does not want to go with the rules, they can not produce organic, but they can try to lobby for a cahange in ruling.

Ari Seppälä
Finland

Not an organic beekeeper, but maybe some day.
Yes, most of my queens are clipped