From:
Gerry Visel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 22:09:56 EST
Jerry,

   "Everyone" is somewhat allergic to bee stings.  That's why bees sting.
 Beekeepers build up something of an immunity to them, but they still
hurt.  I've never heard of people in the US working the stingless bees
here.  (I'm sure people would if they could, but then again, that's what
makes a horserace!)  Let's see if anybody else out there does.

   Jump right in there, and get a bee veil and gloves to start with.
After a bit, you start noticing what riles the ladies and what doesn't,
you'll discard them.  (Most of the time.)  I hesitated when I first got
into it, but bees are really very gentle critters that just don't like to
have their house banged around or being cooped up in stormy weather.  Me
neither.

   Give 'em a fine spring day with plenty of pollen and nectar (read
FOOD) coming in, and you can do anything with them.  We have a "bee rock"
beside the hives where my eight year old and I sit and watch them
bringin' home the bacon!  Enjoy!

Gerry and the other Visels at
Winnebago, Illinois, USA