From:
"Walter T. Weller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:39:34 -0500
Howdy -

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:19:27 -0400 Frank & Phronsie Humphrey
<[log in to unmask]> wrote about a Robber Screen.

I was much interested in the description, because with this long dry
spell we're having a lot of robbing.

Forgive my density, but I'm having trouble understanding how to build a
Robber Screen.  Would you mind giving me a little help?

You say:

>These can be made with 3/4" x 3/4" stock.  1 piece it the width of the
hive
>opening and 2 pieces about 3" to 4" long.  Nail these together to form 3
>sides of a box whose length is the width of the opening.  Over this
staple
>1/8" hardware cloth or window screening,  leaving about a 3/4" gap at
the
>open side.

I think I have a clear picture so far:  at this point we have a
rectangular frame, about 14 x 3, made of 3/4 x 3/4 stock, but made of
only three pieces leaving one long side open.  On top of this frame (on
the bottom too?) is stapled a strip of screening, extending only to a
line 3/4 inch from the the open long side of the frame.  Right?  But I'm
not clear on what comes next:

> Next nail a piece of 1" x 2" on the screen side  to finish the box.

This is where I start getting lost.  I can't picture where to put this
piece of 1 x 2.

>The 1"x 2" should have an opening 1" x 3/8" cut in the bottom and at one
>side.

Does this cut go across a 1-inch edge of the 1x2?  Or across the 2-inch
side of the 1x2?

Thanks.

Walter Weller
Post Office Box 270